The Powerhouse for Anti-infectives –
Committed to making the difference
AiCuris is a pharmaceutical company specializing in the discovery, research, and development of novel, resistance‐breaking antiviral and antibacterial agents for the treatment of serious and potentially life-threatening infectious diseases. Founded in 2006 as a spin‐out from Bayer Infection Research, AiCuris today manages an innovative pipeline of anti-infective agents with a team of internationally recognized scientists in Research and Development. We are one of the few European biotech companies which has brought a drug with “block buster” potential to the market (Prevymis® 2017/18).
AiCuris is offering the position of a:
Principal Scientist / Director Medicinal Chemistry (m/f/d)
(in full time)
Reporting to the Head of Chemistry, Pharmaceutical
Development and Patent Affairs
The focus of this role will be to direct and manage medicinal chemistry research projects from initial hit finding and exploratory chemistry activities, through the lead optimization process to ultimately deliver high quality small molecules clinical candidates to AiCuris’ pipeline. As a strategic chemistry leader within multidisciplinary project teams, you will use hypothesis-driven and property-focused compound design to solve medicinal chemistry problems applying state of the art technology and current best practice in synthetic and medicinal chemistry. In this role you will coordinate various outsources chemistry activities with multiple local and global partners and work cross-functionally with other disciplines internally to advance research projects in a timely fashion.
- Support and lead global preclinical Med. R&D Projects in the hit finding, hit-to-lead and lead optimization phases
- Significantly contribute to the organizational strategy by identifying, prioritizing and managing key issues and helping to secure and manage the necessary human, financial and material support
- Provide expert advice to management and represent the company externally with authority in their respective discipline to partners and/or the international community
- Implement virtual screening/docking as well as focused library screening approaches
- Select, coordinate and lead cooperation’s with chemistry R&D partners
- Perform IP and critical path analysis
- Ensure solid IP-position of novel compounds by active patent filing
- Accountable for milestone setting, project reviews and budget planning
- Participate in project team meetings, provide important input on chemistry aspects and communicate results from multiple sources and across other departments
- Write and contribute to the writing of documents, reports, protocols, presentations, patents and regulatory documents
- Develop project strategies and support management in the maintenance of existing and definition of new research projects
Skills and qualification
- PhD or equivalent in chemistry, medicinal chemistry, pharmacy, or related fields
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in an industrial drug discovery environment
- Demonstrable leadership experience with a proven track record of advancing drug discovery programmes from early discovery to IND filing
- Experience in managing, directing and prioritizing the work of remote teams of medicinal and synthetic chemists at Contract Research Organisations
- Experienced in all stages of the interdisciplinary drug discovery process from target selection and hit identification, through hit‐to‐lead and lead optimisation, to the delivery of development candidates
- Proficient in assessing the patent/IP landscape and drafting patent applications in collaboration with patent attorneys to protect the company’s intellectual property
- Excellent knowledge and deep practical experience with a range of computational chemistry and modelling methods (e.g., virtual screening, QSAR, QSPR, ligand- and structure-based design approaches)
- Strong leadership which supports teamwork, champion’s collaborative behavior and directs initiatives for teams and partnerships
- Excellent English (oral and written), German is an advantage but not mandatory
What we can offer
- Cooperation in multinational and interdisciplinary teams
- An exciting field of activity in a promising research and development company
- Flexible working hours and self-determined time management
- Regular and targeted further training and individual development opportunities
- Attractive company pension scheme
- A wide range of offers in terms of health and reconciling work and family life
How to apply
You can find a PDF of the job description here.
InterestedInterested to join our team?
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at +49 (0)202 317 63 - 0.
Note for headhunters: We are not interested in support. Thanks!
AiCuris Anti-infective Cures AG
Friedrich-Ebert-Str. 475 / Build. 302