Committed to making the difference
AiCuris - founded in 2006 - is a specialist for infectious diseases. Its focus comprises discovery, research and development of novel antiviral and antibacterial agents in the indications Human Cytomegalovirus, Herpes simplex, Hepatitis B, and (multi)resistant bacterial infections treated in the hospital. With its highly innovative pipeline, AiCuris addresses specialist markets and severe, potentially life-threatening infections with high medical need. Major steps for the company were signing a license agreement with Merck & Co. (MSD) and the marketing authorization for Prevymis™ (Letermovir) in the US and Europe.
AiCuris is offering the position of a
Senior Scientist for Antibacterial Drug Discovery (m/f/d)
(in full-time) (unlimited contract)
To strengthen our team in antibacterial research we are looking for a self-motivated and collaborative scientist with an academic degree in biology, medicine or related subjects. The candidate should have a strong background in antibiotics and in pathogenic bacteria (especially Gram-negatives but also Gram-positives).
Supported by an established research team of academic and technical experts, your role will be to develop strategies for the discovery of innovative antibacterial drugs and to identify and characterize novel antibacterial agents. We expect you to design, plan and conduct your experimental work independently. The role also entails taking responsibility as project champion in discovery programs from initiation of the program to commencement of Phase I studies as well as acting as the representative for preclinical pharmacology in development project teams.
- Provide antibacterial expertise (both strategic and operational) to expand the AiCuris antibacterial drug discovery pipeline
- Provide scientific input for the initiation of new drug discovery programs on the basis of commercial and scientific opportunities
- Optimize hits to development candidates in a timely, scientifically sound and business oriented manner in close collaboration with other disciplines such as chemistry and pharmacokinetics as well as external partners and CROs
- Guide, motivate and develop an interdisciplinary drug discovery team (including external corporate partners) in lead structure optimization
- Provide expert input to clinical research and business development
- Assess the competitor landscape and evaluate potential in-licensing products
- PhD in microbiology, biochemistry, molecular biology, human biology or related field
- > 5 years of experience in antibacterial drug discovery in major pharma or biotech or respective academic environment is mandatory
- Deep knowledge of the whole antibacterial drug discovery and development process and business (including antibacterial classes, drug discovery strategies, requirements of successful antibiotics, competitor landscape, medical need and commercial opportunities)
- Expertise in the physiology, metabolism, genetics, virulence and resistance development of bacterial pathogens
- Good experimental knowledge of a broad range of in vitro and in vivo methodologies for antibacterial drug evaluation
- Good understanding of pharmacology, PK/PD, ADME, and safety/toxicology and clinical microbiology
- Scientific experience in designing and supervising experiments performed by a team of technical assistants; experience in preparing scientific reports
- Ability to think strategically about projects, business issues and to develop a vision for the therapeutic area
- Strong analytical skills and statistical understanding
- Strong organizational skills, ability to efficiently evaluate, to prioritize, and to handle multiple project tasks
- Ability to lead interdisciplinary teams including external partners
- Highly motivated, able to work independently and in a team
- Excellent English (oral and written), German (advantageous but not a primary requirement)
You can download the PDF of the job description here.
What we can offer
- Cooperation in multinational and interdisciplinary teams
- An exciting and challenging job in a promising research and development company with an excellent R&D portfolio
- Flexible working hours and self-determined time management
- Regular and targeted further training and individual development opportunities
- Attractive company pension scheme
- A wide range of services relating to health and reconciling work and family life
How to apply
Interested to join our team? Then apply online ( click here ). If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at +49 202 317 63 2599.
AiCuris Anti-infective Cures GmbH
Tel.: +49 202 317 63 2599